Monday 26 September 2011

And......rest

From time to time I give my natural nails a break from extensions, when I do this I apply a gel polish to stop me from tinkering with them.

UV gel polish is a great way to keep your nails looking neat and uniform without the need for extensions or overlays. Depending on the porosity of your nails gel polish will last up to 4 weeks when you will have a noticeable gap at the cuticle edge, they cannot be infilled so need to be soaked off and reapplied.

Salons offer gel polish services widely now, sometimes calling it a '3 week manicure' or something similar. Most nail companies now offer a gel polish, the most common being Shellac (CND), Geleration (Jessica) and Gelez (Ezflow). Prices range between £20 to £35 depending on your area, I certainly wouldn't pay more than £35 which I think certain department store nail bars do.

I obviously do my own using Shellac which is a 3 step system.

After nail prep and dehydration apply a thin layer of base gel, cure for 3 minutes using a 36 watt lamp.

Apply first coat of Shellac polish making sure none has touched the skin and that there is a gap at the cuticle, cure for 3 minutes.

Apply a second coat of polish, cure for 3 minutes.

Apply finishing gel, cure for 3 minutes.

When applying gel make sure you 'cap' the free edge by running the brush lightly along it.

That's it, done! My Shellac lasts approx 4 weeks and is only taken off because of the growth gap at the cuticle, it never peels or chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment