Wednesday 14 September 2011

Way back when the Earth was flat..

I thought I'd write a bit of history of how I ended up with a nail salon, and how I now don't work as a nail tech.

About 10 years ago I took voluntary redundancy from a PA job and with the money decided to set up my own business doing something I've always loved, nails! Problem was, I wasn't professionally trained and had only taught myself. BIG problem.

Now, to cut a long and boring story short this all happened at the same time I was told I needed life saving surgery, magic timing eh? So, I had my most inconvenient operation, some fairly nasty treatment and was not able to work for the best part of the year, so I decided to do some training, another problem being I was completely immobile. Fortunately there is a home course you can do from Essential Nails, it's pricey but great if you can't get out and about. I did the course, passed the exam and got a lovely certificate. After setting up the salon (see pic) I went on to train further with Sabrina Malik from Channel 4's The Salon, who I would later briefly work with for Ezflow Nail Systems. I also trained with Creative Nail Design and turned down a job working at their offices in Leeds. So, for anyone thinking that nails are easy, think again! Nail clients are among the fussiest in the world and demand perfection that costs virtually nothing but lasts for weeks. Later I went on to do some photographic work, whilst recovering from my second operation, which is why I ended up selling the salon, I was simply too ill to carry on.

Anyhoo, (are you still reading? I'd have gone two paragraphs ago!) I now have a non professional interest in nails and very occasionally do someone's nails, if they ask very nicely and promise not to call me when they break a nail whilst drunk on a Friday night.

That's it, I promise not to ramble on in every post, just wanted to give you some background as to why I know what I'm talking about......sometimes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment